← Oudtshoorn Heritage Walk · Baron van Reede Street
3

Presbyterian Church

Address
C/o Church & Baron van Reede Streets
Date
1921
Walk
Baron van Reede Street
Photographs
1
The interior, with its oak pews and carved pulpit

From the heritage walk's own records for this marker

The Oudtshoorn Presbyterian Church was founded in 1921 after overtures had been received by Presbytery in Port Elizabeth. In May 1921 the Reverend James McRobert of Port Elizabeth paid a visit to an enthusiastic group of worshippers and duly recommended that a Presbyterian Church be established in Oudtshoorn. On 25th September of that same year the OPC was welcomed into the Presbyterian Church of South Africa. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 20 June 1923 by Rev James McRobert.

When this property was acquired in 1921 from a local businessman, Mr Matare, it already had an attractive sandstone house in place which became the Manse, home to the first minister, the Reverend Samuel Workman and his family. The property extended down to the river.

The firm of architects, Simpson and Bridgman, drew up the plans while Coe and Bolton were the building contractors. Traditionally the interiors of Presbyterian churches tend to be devoid of excessive ornamentation and can be rather austere. However, the oak pews, the intimate proportions of the building as well as the beautifully carved oak pulpit of this church exude a warmth which is very welcoming even on very cold Karoo evenings.

The fine pulpit is the work of Henry Thomson, at the time the woodwork school-teacher at the local Boys’ High School. The Manse was sold in 2014 and today accommodates an antique shop.