Thomas’ Mill, Miller’s House & Walmer House
- Address
- 39 - 41 Baron van Reede Street
- Date
- 1880 – 1914
- Walk
- Baron van Reede Street
- Photographs
- 2
From the heritage walk's own records for this marker
To the left (and down the alley) you will see Thomas’ Mill, Miller’s House & Walmer House. These two double-storey sandstone buildings date from the town’s “Golden Era”, the Ostrich Feather Boom (1880 – 1914). The passageway between these two Georgian-style buildings forms a gateway to Thomas’ Mill which was situated on a rear erf, once the scene of much noise, action and clouds of white wheat dust. Now, however, the structure is home to more sedate enterprises such as offices and an antique and furniture shop.
During the 1800’s and the first half of the 20th century, the Oudtshoorn district was an important producer of wheat. Walter Thomas had immigrated to South Africa from Manchester and settled in Oudtshoorn in 1881. The town was booming with the Ostrich Feather Boom and Thomas soon established a business selling agricultural implements. Soon he started a mill on these premises and was joined by James Robert Deas who introduced a steam-driven saw-mill as well as a steam-driven wheat-mill. The mill closed down in the mid-1960’s when Andrew Thomas was the last miller.
The Thomases lived at No 39, in the Miller’s House, while the well-known firm of auditors, A J Acker & Son had their offices next door.
Walmer House, at No 41, was a reputable boarding-house which provided accommodation to, amongst others, young female teachers of the nearby Girls’ High School. Older residents still have fond memories of the landlady, Mrs Daisy Forbes. Walmer House lost its front balcony in the 1970’s when the street was widened.