← Oudtshoorn Heritage Walk
04

Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage

Address
141 High Street
Date
1881
Side of the street
Odd side
Photographs
1
Die Pastorie, the parsonage at 141 High Street

From the heritage walk's own records for this marker

The need for a new parsonage for the Dutch Reformed Church arose in 1879 when the first minister, Rev Van der Riet retired. The house in which he had lived, was given to him upon retirement.

The tender for the new parsonage was given to Delbridge and Courtney from Mossel Bay. Building was completed in May 1882. Together with the beautiful church opposite, these two sandstone buildings were showpieces of the young congregation. The first minister to live in "Die Pastorie" was Ds George William Stegmann from 1881 – 1891.

Originally there were two Norfolk Pine trees in the garden which were planted by Ds Stegmann and his daughter Marie. One of the trees is still standing in the garden.

From 1963 – 1972 the church council seriously considered getting rid of the parsonage. They wanted to buy a new "modern" house instead. Luckily the then minister, Rev Louw suggested that the decision should be postponed for 3 years so that feelings could calm down.

The building was then renovated and served as a parsonage until 2019 when it was decided to rent it out for business purposes. The beautiful teak wooden fretwork around the verandahs is still original.