Deas Brothers
- Address
- C/o Church & Baron van Reede Streets
- Date
- 1875
- Walk
- Baron van Reede Street
- Photographs
- 2
From the heritage walk's own records for this marker
In 1853 the brothers William and James Robert Deas were still young boys when they emigrated with their parents from Scotland to South Africa.
In 1856 their father settled in Oudtshoorn where the two boys went to school, learnt their trade as blacksmiths, and qualified as cart and waggon builders.
In 1875 they established their own cartwright’s shop, which in the years that followed they developed into one of the largest undertakings of its kind in the Cape Colony.
They also specialised in saddlery, upholstery and decorative carpentry. In 1882 they appointed several specialists in these trades. In 1892 the enterprise was modernised with the installation of the latest steam-driven carpentry machinery. In 1899 the partnership came to an end due to local competition and at an auction in 1900 the property was sold.