Suspension Bridge
- Address
- Church Street
- Date
- 1914
- Walk
- Baron van Reede Street
- Photographs
- 1
From the heritage walk's own records for this marker
Just down Church Street you will find the Suspension Bridge. Oudtshoorn is situated on both sides of the Grobbelaars River. When the river came down in flood, it caused problems. In 1913 the town council approved the move to erect a suspension bridge in Church Street, opposite the town centre.
The elegant bridge was manufactured by a Scottish company Rowley & Sons according to plans from a firm of engineers in London, Hitchers & Booth. In 1914 it was erected by a local contractor, Mr F. Helfritz. The suspension bridge consists of a single span of 91m with an arch in the middle. The two ends are finished off with 9 metre high towers, made of trellised steel.
The view north from the centre of the bridge is a photographer’s dream, especially when the Swartberg Mountains are covered in snow.